Type your paragraph here.
BIBLE BAPTISM (Matthew 28:19,20)
Bro. D Hepburn
A. No other subject in Christianity is debated as much as baptism…
1. The importance attached to this act of obedience by New Testament writers has been forgotten or ignored – resulting in the apostasy of it’s practice…
2. However – anyone who reads the Bible with faith can understand what the Bible teaches about baptism and obey biblical teaching…
3. Our plea – “Back to the Bible”…”Do Bible things in Bible ways, and call Bible things by Bible names”…”No creed but God’s creed”…”No book but the Bible”.
I. WHAT DOES THE NEW TESTAMENT TEACH ABOUT BAPTISM?
A. The New Testament teaches that baptism of the Great Commission requires the following :
* a willing subject (Acts 8:36)
* a human administrator (Matthew 28:19)
* much water (Acts 8:36)
* going down into the water (Acts 8:38)
* coming up out of the water (Acts 8:39)
* the likeness of a birth (John 3:5)
* the likeness of a burial and resurrection (Romans 6:4)
* washing the body in water (Hebrews 10:22)
* rejoicing and a good conscience (Acts 8:39 ; 1.Peter 3:21)
1. Only one practice can meet all of these requirements…
a. Immersion alone was the practice of the apostolic church.
Scholars of all creeds testify to this truth…
b. Immersion was not ONE of the methods of baptism ;
it was the ONLY method practiced in the first century…
II. WHAT IS THE BIBLICAL REASON FOR BAPTISM?
A. After His resurrection, Jesus met with His disciples and told them,
“…make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of
the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit” (Matthew 28:19)
1. God has His reasons for requiring baptism. The New Testament gives these reasons for a person to be baptized :
* to be saved (Mark 16:16 ; 1.Peter 3:21)
* to receive remission of sins (Acts 2:38)
* to wash away sins (Acts 22:16)
* to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38)
* to enter Christ (Galatians 3:27)
* to be added to the church (Acts 2:41,47)
* to be born again (John 3:5)
a. The act of immersing a person in water itself has no inherent power to save from sin…
b. It is a matter of faith and obedience – a testing act of our faith – as
going through the Red Sea was to the children of Israel…
c. When we have enough faith to obey God in baptism, He will save us,
and not before…
III. WHO IS TO BE BAPTIZED?
A. It is as important to know WHO NEEDS baptism as to know the
purpose of the act. The Bible states who is to be baptized. Those
not included in these statements do NOT need baptism…
1. Those who have been taught the gospel are to be baptized…
2. Those who have been moved to believe (Romans 10:17) are to be
3. Those who have repented of their sins – determined to quit sinning –
are to be baptized…(Luke 24:46,47)
4. Those who have confessed their faith in Christ as God’s Son are to
be baptized…(Romans 10:9,10)
HOW CAN WE OBEY THE GOSPEL?
When we follow the biblical practice of baptism, we will immerse
those who have prepared themselves for it by hearing and believing
the gospel, repenting of their sins, and confessing their faith in Christ
as God’s Son…
We will baptize them for the remission of their past sins, and they will
be “born again” into God’s kingdom (John 3:3-5)
1. Have you been to Jesus for the cleansing power?
2. Have you been baptized in the Bible way?
3. If not – then why not?…Why not tonight?
4. Now is the accepted time – NOW is the day of salvation.
OUR MISSION IS TO BRING PEOPLE TRUE LIFE THROUGH JESUS CHRIST
Have you been hurt by man-made religion in the past? Have you been judged more than you have been loved by religious people? Are you looking for something that will truly satisfy your deepest desires?
Jesus said, "I came that they may have life and have it abundantly." John 10:10
Have you experienced this abundant life? If not, come join us on Sunday and let us help you find your way to the One who has the answers to all of life's questions.
Peterborough Church of Christ
GET IN TOUCH
10 AM | Sunday
Fleet Community Centre
Peterborough - PE2 8DL
Peterborough Church of Christ © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED